Hemp Seed, Squash, Sweet Potato, Black Bean Enchilada Casserole – Vegan
This recipe is adapted from The Thug Kitchen Cookbook … whether you’re vegan or not, it’s a super fun (yes, you need a sense of humor!) and delicious cookbook.
Makes 8 enchiladas or 4 servings
Hemp Seed, Squash, Sweet Potato, Black Bean Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato – chopped up
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 an onion – chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash – grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup raw hemp hearts
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 11/2 cups cooked black beans – or 15 oz can
- corn or flour tortillas
- sliced avocado
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- Steam the sweet potato for 10-15 minutes until tender – drain and mash – set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add squash and cook for another couple minutes. Add the hemp seeds, chili powder, cumin, salt garlic and black beans. Cook for another couple of minutes, then add the mashed sweet potatoes and stir. Turn off heat.
- Heat your oven to 375ºF. Using a 9 x 13 pan, cover the bottom of the dish with 1 cup of enchilada sauce. Lay 1/3 of the tortillas on top of the sauce. Add 1/3 of the filling on top of the tortillas. Cover with another cup of sauce, 1/3 of tortillas and 1/3 of filling, etc., ending with a final layer of enchilada sauce.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced avocados and fresh cilantro.
Please follow and like us: